• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Q&A Medical Administration - Private Practice

dslp55

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
ICD-9 Student
Good Morning,
My ultimate career path is to work in a private medical practice with the knowledge of medical coding, billing and medical terminology.
  1. I am reaching out to ask professional advice as to what other courses, computer programs or information I should know.
  2. What is the typical setting for someone who has taken and passed the ICD-9-CM certification? Is it usually a hospital or insurance company?
I appreciate any comments and suggestions.
Thank you all and have a great day.

PS- I just enrolled in the mini ICD-9-CM and am so impressed with the breathe of information, the professional layout of the material presented and the personal contact I have received hours after I signed up for the course.

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Our Physician Based Coding course (PBC) gives you not only ICD-9-CM but also HCPCS and CPT which you will need for the Certified Professional Coder (CPC) exam. There is a NO certification for just ICD-9-CM. ICD-9-CM will be a good background for the PBC course, but if you can afford signing up for the PBC course, I think it would be better to do that. Talk to the helpdesk, https://www.cco.us/cco-helpdesk-request/, if you are so inclined, and they can help you on an individual basis. I think the ICD-9-CM course is set up for those who took a coding course that covered ICD-10-CM, but not ICD-9-CM and want to take the CPC exam now, before ICD-10-CM is in effect.

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Thanks for your kind PS - makes me smile :)

ICD-9 is just part of th whole coding picture so I agree with Ruth if you are pursuing certification we reccomend the Physician Based Coding course (we will deduct what you paid for ICD-9 course). That will prepare you for the CPC certificaion which is a great core credential.

dslp55

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
ICD-9 Student
Thank you for your feedback. As I mentioned in my post, I am hoping to begin a new career in the medical field. I must admit, I am amazed with the career opportunities in this field. My problem is that I am not sure of my exact focus.
These are my thoughts:
Understand medical terminology
Learn coding
Have a solid foundation for an administrative role in a healthcare setting. At this point I am not sure if I want to work for a small practice or perhaps in a hospital.
My biggest dilemma is where to begin. In your reply you mentioned that ICD-9 is just part of the picture. If you have a moment could you explain further and perhaps give me a suggestion for a starting point.
Thank you so much for your time.

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I'm a fan of the physician side of things - I think it is easier to get into and move around in. So the steps you outline make good sense to me. Why don't you schedule a call with me and I can help guide you more click this link http://cco.pe/1kSoiab